Menu

Consolidated B-24D Liberator

History of the B-24D Liberator

Adapted from the XB-24 aircraft in 1939, the B-24D was able to cruise at high speeds and carry heavy bomb loads. These aircraft became the most-produced, Allied heavy bomber of World War II, with nearly 19,286 B-24s built in numerous variations for the United States (US) Army and Navy, as well as Great Britain.

B-24D Liberator

Serial Number: 41-23908

Manufacturer: Consolidated Aircraft Supply Company

Crew: Eight to ten

Engines: Four Pratt & Whitney R-1830-43 Twin Wasp 14-cylinder radial; 1,200 horsepower each

Wingspan: 110 feet

Length: 66 feet 4 inches

Height: 17 feet

Weight: 32,605 pounds (empty); 56,000 pounds (maximum)

Speed: 200 mph (cruising); 303 mph (maximum)

Range: 2,850 miles with a 5,000-pound bomb load; 4,600 miles max ferry range

Service Ceiling: 32,000 feet

Armament: Ten .50-caliber machine guns; 8,000 pounds of bombs

Cost: $310,765

The B-24D Liberator at Hill Air Force Base

In 1942, the B-24D, now on display, was manufactured and dispatched to Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska, to assist American air, sea and ground forces in repelling the Japanese invasion of the Aleutian Islands. Afterwards, this aircraft moved to Adak Island and assisted the US Navy in intercepting Japanese cargo ships. Members of the Aerospace Heritage Foundation of Utah, along with Captain Ernest Pruett, who piloted this aircraft during the Adak Island mission, went to the island to recover the aircraft. After restoration, the aircraft arrived at Hill Aerospace Museum for display in 2006.