The CH-21C-VL Workhorse at Hill Air Force Base
The aircraft was originally a H-21B manufactured by Piasecki Helicopter Corporation. It was delivered to the USAF in August 1957, then it was assigned to the 20th Helicopter Squadron of the Tactical Air Command at Sewart Air Force Base. While serving with the 20th, the aircraft was briefly deployed to Myrtle Beach Air Force Base and Cuba.
In January 1960, the aircraft was transferred to the 4510th Combat Training Wing (CTW) at Luke Air Force Base. The aircraft was then passed to the Ogden Air Material Area at Hill Air Force Base. In July 1962, it was handed over to the 2849th Air Base Wing at Hill Air Force Base. The aircraft was redesigned to a CH-21B in 1962 and was operated to support the Utah Testing and Training Range until it retired at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in April 1971. The CH-21B was dropped from the USAF inventory in November 1971.
During restoration of the CH-21B, the rotor blades were refurbished by members of the former 419th Combat Logistics Support Squadron (CLSS) from Hill Air Force Base and reattached in May 2006.