The KC-135E Stratotanker at Hill Air Force Base
The USAF obtained the KC-135 aircraft at Hill Aerospace Museum in January 1959 where it was assigned to the 901st Air Refueling (Heavy) Squadron of Strategic Air Command at Columbus Air Force Base in Mississippi.
The KC-135 was then reassigned to the 4228th Strategic Wing at Columbus AFB in January 1962. In February 1963, the aircraft was moved to the 454th Bombardment (Heavy) Wing at Columbus AFB. During service with the 454th, the aircraft was deployed to Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, Japan.
After serving in Okinawa, the KC-135 was transferred to the 916th Air Refueling Squadron at Travis Air Force Base in May 1969. From Travis AFB, the aircraft was deployed to the following bases: Eielson Air Force Base in Alaska; Torrejon Air Base in Spain; U Tapao RTAFB in Thailand; Malmstrom Air Force Base; and Anderson Air Base in Guam.
The aircraft was assigned to the Utah Air National Guard in Salt Lake City in April 1978. The aircraft was converted to a KC-135E in July 1982. The aircraft, named “Never Forget,” was the last remaining KC-135E assigned to the 151st Air Refueling Wing of the Utah Air National Guard when it was retired in May 2009. The aircraft flew to Hill Air Force Base on May 21, 2009. On July 18, 2009, the KC-135E was towed from the flight line to Hill Aerospace Museum for display.