Menu

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt

History of the P-47D Thunderbolt

The P-47 nicknamed the “Jug,” served as a bomber escort and ground attack aircraft during World War II. Over the course of production, the P-47Ds were greatly improved with increased climb rate and speed, greater internal fuel capacity and new wing mounts for drop tanks or bombs.

Republic P-47D Thunderbolt

Serial Number: 44-32798

Manufacturer: The Republic Aviation Corporation

Crew: One

Engines: One Pratt & Whitney R2800 Double Wasp eighteen-cylinder radial; 2,500 horsepower

Wingspan: 40 feet 9 3/8 inches

Length: 36 feet 1 3/4 inches

Height: 14 feet 7 inches

Weight: 10,700 pounds (empty); 13,500 pounds (maximum)

Speed: 260 mph (cruising); 433 mph at 30,000 feet (maximum)

Range: 950 miles without external fuel

Service Ceiling: 40,000 feet

Armament: Eight .50-caliber machine guns and ten 5-inch rockets or 1,500 pounds of bombs

Cost: $83,000

The P-47D Thunderbolt at Hill Air Force Base

During World War II, Hill Air Force Base maintained, repaired, rehabilitated and stored many Thunderbolt aircraft and their engines. The P-47D on display was manufactured in 1944 and served on bases all over the United States. In 2003, this aircraft was recovered from a salvage yard and brought to Hinckley Airport in Ogden, Utah, for restoration. In 2007, it was put on display at Hill Aerospace Museum.