The C-119 Flying Boxcar and Hill Air Force Base
Hill Air Force Base has had a long association with the C-119. In May 1949, it was assigned the specialized maintenance and supply activity for parts on the aircraft. This task, along with storage of several C-119s, continued through the 1950s. Beginning in 1963, the 733rd Troop Carrier Squadron, a C-119 unit, operated out of Hill Air Force Base. It also had the job of repairing the R4360 engines that were used in the C-119B and C variants.
Restored to represent the State of Utah, once assigned to Hill Air Force Base decades ago, the C-119G located at Hill Aerospace Museum, was manufactured by Fairchild and delivered to the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) in December 1954. Serving various bases throughout Canada for more than 20 years, the aircraft was eventually sold to Frank Shelly of Los Angeles, California, in 1967.
Later sold to the forest fire fighting company, Hawkins and Powers of Greybull, Wyoming, it was eventually acquired by the Aerospace Museum in November 1985.